Homemade Soft Scrub

Made another batch of homemade soft scrub today and got to thinking about everyone else cleaning their sinks/tubs and what kind of products are being used -- so why not put up a post about it?

I'm a closet chemist, and really enjoy mixing things up and trying to see how I can save money and still get good results from homemade products.

Now, I know that I'm not the only person who hasn't completely "converted" to everything natural and green, so I figured I would share this today and hopefully encourage you to step away from that store bought stuff!

Homemade Softscrub (from TipNut.com)

1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup liquid dish detergent
1/8 cup – 1/4 cup vinegar

Mix the baking soda and dish detergent first, then add the vinegar. Adjust the baking soda or vinegar amounts until you have the consistency you like working with.

My comments on this:

  • WAY too much liquid detergent in the original recipe.  I read the reviews before I even started and everyone suggested using just a little bit.  The first time I used about 1 TBSP and found even that to be too much - it took a lot of rinsing to get those soapy bubbles out of the sink!  I added more baking soda and vinegar to the original mix and that seemed to even out the recipe -- now I add 1 or 2 tsp and that seems to do the trick. 
  • This works great.  Easy to mix up, easy to use.  Makes my sink all sparkly and shiny, and doesn't leave any kind of film or icky feel.
  • I add several drops of Rosemary essential oil to the mixture -- makes for a nice scent and fresh feeling.  

Herbal tidbit: when you breathe in Rosemary essential oil, it brings mental energy and clears your respiratory tract -- so a nice addition to a cleaning solution!

So, are YOU ready to start making your own cleaning solutions? This is certainly a far less expensive solution than buying the stuff at the store, and not only is it healthier, you get to have fun mixing baking soda and vinegar together and watching the chemical reaction bubble up in front of you!

How's that for having fun while cleaning!


No comments:

Post a Comment